Tuesday, February 21, 2012

National Sticky Bun Day

While drinking my morning coffee and browsing the net I saw that it was National Sticky Bun Day, as well as Fat Tuesday! I immediately thought of the Chebe Cinnamon Roll Mix  in my pantry that came with an awesome deal I got thru the Gluten Free Saver a few weeks ago! If you have Celiacs or are gluten sensitive the Gluten Free Saver is a great little site with awesome GF deals!



I can't remember the last time I had a cinnamon roll or sticky bun! Well over a year! When I was little I remember on Sundays my mom would always make the Pillsbury Cinnamon Rolls for breakfast, I used to love to *pop* them open! Since being diagnosed with Celiac Disease over a year ago there are many things I can no longer eat like I used to. Even though many things can be adapted with GF ingredients, sometimes it just isn't the same. But over the last year I have learned to roll with it.

The Chebe website had a recipe for a Brown Sugar Almond Sticky Buns using the Chebe CR Mix! So I thought I would make them being it is National Sticky Bun Day!

*Smiles*


















The recipe for the Sticky Buns was pretty much the same as the Cinnamon Roll recipe, except the buns were baked in a 9 inch round pan, instead of muffins tins.

Recipe


Ingredients:- 1 package Chebe mix (7.5 oz or 1 ¾ C)  (I used the Cinnamon Roll Mix)
- Margarine or butter  (I used Coconut Oil)
- ½ Cup sugar (if using Chebe All-Purpose or Original Mixes) (omitted)
- ½ Cup Brown sugar (I used Palm Sugar)
- ½ Cup Almonds, sliced or slivered
- 2 eggs
- Oil (Coconut Oil used again)
- Water, milk, or milk substitute (I used Almond Milk)


 




Directions: Preheat oven to 400° F
1. Grease a 9x9 square (or 9 inch round) baking pan using margarine or butter. Sprinkle 1/4 Cup brown sugar on the bottom of the pan, then sprinkle 1/4 Cup almonds on the bottom of the pan (spread them out evenly as this is part of the topping).





2. Prepare one package (7.5 oz. or 1 ¾ Cups) of mix according to the package instructions (if using All-Purpose or Original Mixes, substitute cheese with ½ Cup sugar).
3. Roll out the dough into 1/4 inch thick rectangle. Spread with margarine (or butter).
4. Spread 1/4C to 1/3C brown sugar on the margarine. Spread 1/4C almonds on top of the brown sugar. Roll the dough up and slice in 1/2 inch sections. Place them in the baking pan touching each other.





5. Bake for 15-18 minutes (note that the tops may not turn dark brown). Immediately after removing the rolls from the oven, turn the pan upside down onto a plate. This will give you the rolls with the topping side up.




I got 7 rolls, the pan was definitely too large, but I just went with it and baked them about 17 minutes. They didn't look much different before I baked them (above) than baked. 






Visibly they were not oooeygooey sticky buns, the joy of no gluten! 
BUT they were quite delicious! 


And my husband gave them a big thumbs up, so be it the sugar junkie he is, they must have been good! I will definitely make them again, they were quick, easy and oh so yummy! 


Happy Sticky Bun Day! 


Enjoy
~J~


3 comments: